National Union of Students Charter on Assessment and Feedback (NUS)
The NUS published 10 principles of effective feedback in their 2010 Charter on Assessment and Feedback.
- Formative assessment and feedback should be used throughout the programme.
- Students should have access to face-to-face feedback for at least the first piece of assessment each academic year.
- Receiving feedback should not be exclusive to certain forms of assessment.
- Feedback should be timely.
- Students should be provided with a variety of assessment methods.
- There should be anonymous marking for all summative assessment.
- Students should be able to submit assessment electronically.
- Students should be supported to critique their own work.
- Programme induction should include information on assessment practices and understanding marking criteria.
- Students should be given a choice for format of feedback.